Bob's Guitar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bob's Guitar Forum

BOB'S FORUM ABOUT GUITARS AND MUSIC

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Learning longer, more awkward songs.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheProgressiveNation15

Learning longer, more awkward songs. Empty
PostSubject: Learning longer, more awkward songs.   Learning longer, more awkward songs. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Hey.

Okay, so I've been playing guitar for quite some time now, and recently I've attempted to learn some longer, more complex songs. Right now I'm learning Home by Dream Theatre, which is definitely something I'd be able to learn.

My problem is that this is the first time I've wanted to learn a song with quite a few riiffs and where a lot of the riffs have slight variations at later dates - there's even a very progressive section at the end of the song which goes through 6 or 7 different time signatures.

How would you go about learning a song like that without it completely frying your brain?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
monkyman95

PostSubject: Hmm   Learning longer, more awkward songs. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 2:03 pm

I would definately learn the basic parts to it, and play the song a few times using those base riffs. later on, mix in the variations (or make your own!) to the song. That's how i learnt the verses to "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

hope this helps!

Monkyman95
Back to top Go down
Era Of Blood

Era Of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Learning longer, more awkward songs.   Learning longer, more awkward songs. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Yeah pretty much. Learn and play it with the basic riffs at first, once you get smooth with those, then you can attempt to add in those variations. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eraofblood.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning longer, more awkward songs.   Learning longer, more awkward songs. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Learning longer, more awkward songs.
Page 1 of 1